I came across this Weight Watchers recipe a couple of weeks ago and HAD to try it. I made it and my entire family fell in love (they love good food!). It was love at first sniff. This recipe is my new go-to Italian, comfort food, yet somewhat healthy dinner. It not only tastes amazing, the smell when it’s cooking can make you go crazy. I made it again tonight and it was a hit, yet again. If you’re in need of a good, Italian meal full of vegetables (and a little comfort food — pasta), try this!
2 spray(s) cooking spray
1 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
1/2 cup(s) Panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano suggested
1 tsp dried oregano
8 oz cooked chicken sausage(s), Italian-variety, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium uncooked, onion(s), chopped
1 pound fresh mushroom(s), sliced
2 tbsp water
4 cup(s) marinara sauce
1 cup(s) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9- X 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray
2. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain pasta and return to pot.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring often, until toasted, about 4 minutes. Remove breadcrumbs to a small bowl; stir in Parmesan and oregano and set aside
4. In same skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes; remove to a plate and drain any fat from skillet.
5. Add pepper and onion to skillet; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables start to brown and soften, about 5 minutes.
6. Add mushrooms and water to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
7. Add vegetables, sausage and marinara sauce to pot with drained pasta; toss to coat. Spoon into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with mozzarella and reserved breadcrumbs. Bake until heated through and cheese melts, about 25 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving (about 1 1/2 cups).
Photo source: Weight Watchers Recipe from: WeightWatchers.com